Re: Quick Q on KVM-ARM support for A15

On 25/04/14 17:37, Adhyas Avasthi wrote:

> Quick question on SMMU for device isolation. Is this for isolation
> for accesses from CPU cores to devices, or can SMMU also provide

No. This is what MMU at Stage-2 does. Isolation in this context is about
restricting accesses from bus-mastering devices to memory or other slaves.

> isolation for DMA operations from the device to physical memory (like
> what IOMMU provides) to safeguard against faulty writes ?

Assuming we have an SMMU offering nested translations, we end-up with
the same configuration as we have on the CPU side:
- Stage-2 define the same IPA-PA as we have on the CPU side (a "virtual
physical" address space), controlled by the hypervisor.
- Stage-1 is what the guest decides to program for its DMA operations.

	M.