RE: mechanism to allow a driver to bind to any device

We have the hardware we have and have to live with it.  A system-on-a-chip
typically has bunches of memory mapped I/O devices that are not on a bus that
supports probing.   These devices don't have any discoverable device
IDs.

So, the Linux platform bus works fine for making Linux aware of these
devices and associating drivers with them.  Not sure why it is horrible.
I don't see a reasonable alternative for dealing with these types of
devices.

But this is all besides the point of this thread, which encompasses PCI,
platform bus, or any other kind of bus.  This thread is about how specific
devices can be bound to a vfio driver that wants to expose that device
to user space.

Stuart