From: Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 7:32 AM
To: Chalamarla, Tirumalesh
Cc: Christoffer Dall; Chalamarla, Tirumalesh; kvmarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: QEMU on ARM64

Hi Tirumalesh,

On 2014-03-02 03:24, Chalamarla, Tirumalesh wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, does the gicv2 emulation requires any hardware
> support from gicv3, like backward compatibility.
>
> I mean not backward compatible gicv3 hardware works with this model?

No. GICv2 guest support on GICv3 platforms requires some minimal HW
support from the GICv3 implementation (namely the GICV memory-mapped
region). An implementation only offering system register access to the
CPU interface cannot be supported (other than falling back to the
userspace GIC emulation that QEMU provides).

Supporting full GICv3 without any backward compatibility requirements
(basically offering a full GICv3 to a guest) requires GICv3
(re-)distributor emulation in KVM. There is work in progress on that
front.

Cheers,

         M.
--