Re: Using PMU cycle counter in guest

On 6 August 2013 02:44, Alexander Spyridakis
<a.spyridakis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> On 5 August 2013 22:47, Zhuoqun Cheng <czq@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> So, I am wondering if it is possible to use PMU cycle counter in guest,
>> both kernel mode and user mode? I tried to use kernel module to enable user
>> mode access to cycle counter in host and it worked. But it seems that guest
>> kernel I am using doesn't support kernel module (I am using this one:
>> http://www.virtualopensystems.com/media/arndale/guest-zImage). I tried to
>> add a syscall to enable user mode access but failed either (got illegal
>> instruction error when programming counter in user mode).
>>
>> Can anyone give me any instruction or pointer on this? Thanks very much!
>

> By default, guest access to the PMU is trapped. If you disable the trap
> mechanism you can use the PMU from the guest both in kernel and user mode.
> Of course if you start using (for example) the cycle counter and in between
> there is a vm exit (due to any reason), you will also measure cycles spent
> in the host.

But you have to be careful: you don't want the guest to be able to set
breakpoints in the host, for example.  That is why I say someone has
to look carefully at this problem and make sure that we give the guest
permission only to safe bits of the hardware.

-Christoffer