Re: Booting Android with KVM-ARM kernel on QEMU

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 6:33 AM, Howard Mao <zhehao.mao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I use the following command line to launch qemu on x86.
>
> ./qemu-system-arm -kernel zImage \
> -m 512 -M vexpress-a15 -cpu cortex-a15 -nographic -no-reboot \
> -initrd initrd.img.gz \
> -device virtio-blk,drive=virtio-blk,transport=virtio-mmio.0 \
> -drive file=android-guest.img,id=virtio-blk,if=none \
> -append "console=ttyAMA0 mem=512M --no-log user_debug=3 earlyprintk \
> root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=168729 rootwait rw \
> virtio_mmio.device=1M@0x4e000000:74:0 virtio_mmio.device=1M@0x4e100000:75:1"

ok, I just tried with a more basic command line:

qemu-system-arm -M vexpress-a9 -cpu cortex-a9 -m 1024 -initrd
ramdisk.img -kernel boot/zImage -nographic -sd fs.img

I packaged the images I used here:
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~cdall/images.tar.bz2

Which works perfectly.

I noticed that with the default Ubuntu packaged version of
qemu-system-arm using vexpress-a15 causes a division-by-zero in the
kernel, not sure why.

Also, specifying the -dtb with qemu also caused the same crash,
whereas concatinating the dtb onto the zImage seems to work better,
not sure what that's about.

Using the older version of qemu with virtio support that I use for KVM
testing causes the error you're seeing as well (despite not using the
virtio feature).

Peter, do you recognize any of that and did you indeed verify Android
on TCG with the A15 emulation?

Howie, can you please try with a more recent upstream QEMU or perhaps
grab Peter's tree and build that?

-Christoffer