Re: The role of Qemu in booting guests

On 27 September 2012 17:06, mabel mary joy <mabeljoy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have some questions regarding KVM on ARM
> I would really like to know the role of qemu which is basically an emulator
> while booting guests in linux-KVM.
> Isnt it possible to bring up guests with KVM alone? How does Qemu help here?

KVM provides a kernel ABI for operations like "create a virtual CPU"
and "run code under virtual CPU". A guest operating system requires
not just a CPU but also a complete model of a machine (including
UART, network hardware, etc etc). QEMU provides (a) a user interface
for the user to configure and start a guest and (b) device models.
It would be possible to have a different userspace program which
performed the same functions (for example 'kvmtool' can do this
for x86), but the standard choice is QEMU, because it is a mature
and well supported codebase.

-- PMM