Re: KVM/ARM status and branches

On 11 September 2012 13:22, Jessica Allison
<jessica.allison.2012@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And another thing which isn't that important but I wanted to ask it anyway:
> When I use the new syntax to define networking for my VM, e.g.
>
> -netdev type=tap,script=/etc/kvm/qemu-ifup,id=net0 -device lan9118,netdev=net0
>
> then the smsc911x driver in the guest fails to load with "Device not READY in 100ms aborting".
>
> If I use the old syntax with -net model=lan9118 instead of the -device parameter, then it works. Does that make sense? I would like to understand why the device model doesn't seem to boot up properly with the new syntax.

For this kind of problem, you should reproduce it with a QEMU running
on x86 hardware (ie doing JIT, not using KVM), preferably an upstream
QEMU. We haven't changed any of the device or net code, so it's likely
to be either an upstream bug or possibly a wrong command line (I haven't
looked at the new command line syntax in depth at all). Either way,
better to disentangle it from the KVM work (and probably ask on
qemu-devel about it)...

thanks
-- PMM