Getting lan9118 to work in KVM guest?

Hi, I'm trying to get guest networking to function on the Cortex-A15x2
FastModel. I use the QEMU from
https://github.com/virtualopensystems/qemu and I start my guest with
-net nic,model=lan9118. That is the SMC device which is emulated in
hw/lan9118.c and which is also used on the vexpress board if I
understand correctly. My guest kernel is also configured with
CONFIG_SMC911X=y, so the driver in the guest should be there and ready.
I configured the driver in debugging mode to see if the device starts up
in the guest, but it seems as if it is not there. The guest kernel
doesn't seem to see any SMC device and therefore the driver isn't
loaded. I know for sure that hw/lan9118.c is built and also I put some
debugging into that code to see if it boots up in QEMU. That way I can
see that vexpress: lan9118_init() is called at boot time and I also get
a message for "lan9118: MACADDR loaded from eeprom" which indicates that
the device model starts in QEMU.

My only idea would be that the guest kernel device tree does not include
the SMC device? Or does anyone have another idea why the lan9118 network
card does not seem to show up in the guest? Has anyone ever managed to
get guest networking to function?

Thanks,
Jess