[Android-virt] How does virtio-mmio present itself in /dev?

Alex,

as I told you, why not try to still boot the way you used to
(mmc/nfs/...) and then simply mount the virtio device from user space?

Then you can just put a printk in whatever code you are not sure if
executiong and verify using dmesg. (come to think of it you can do
that anyway just looking at the guest console output).

Once you have virtio working, so you can mount that device and
interact with whatever file system is on there, you can fix booting on
that. The virtio device(s) is going to be either populated by the
devtmps from the kernel or populated by udev.

You can set rootfs=/dev/MYVIRTIODEV on the kernel boot command line to
something that the kernel can recognize to your virtio device (I
forget how this is mapped up exactly, but take a look at some other
driver/configuration and see how it's mapped, or simply look at the
kernel command line parsing).

But again, I suggest you split up mounting and acutally booting.

-Christoffer