[Android-virt] QEMU PCI?

On 3 March 2012 19:28, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell at linaro.org> wrote:
> The current plan is to implement the virtio-mmio transport to
> provide virtio, but this isn't done yet.

Background: the 'mmio' transport for virtio basically just places
it at a "known" location in memory / IRQ, for the benefit of platforms
that don't have a discoverable bus like PCI.

The kernel has the MMIO transport code in it already. QEMU doesn't,
because to do this the first step is to refactor QEMU's virtio
code so that it properly separates out the transport from the
endpoints, so you can have a generic "virtio blk" backend object
which can be plugged into either a "virtio pci" or a "virtio mmio"
transport. I wrote some virtio-mmio patches as a proof that the
whole thing works but didn't have time to do this refactoring.
See discussion at:
 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-11/msg01870.html

NB that those original patches (a) had a few bugs and (b) won't
apply any more because of the QEMU object model patches landing.
I've just done the rebase on qemu master and stuck it up here:
http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/pmaydell/qemu-arm.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/amba-virtio
However you should beware that that is only compile tested!

We also would need to tell the kernel where the virtio endpoints
are via device tree rather than the hack of hardwiring the kernel
or passing it command line arguments (patches for which are
probably floating around somewhere).

-- PMM