Guest freezes at boot time

2010/10/13 Rahul Ramasubramanian <ramasubramanian.rahul at gmail.com>

> Hi ,
> Thanks Christoffer for logging ideas ... I enabled them and left it on for
> some time and the guest reached the qemu login prompt and froze(cannot
> actually type root in the prompt) .I saw of a lot of logs showing a
> softlockup on cpu 0.  Here is the final set of logs that I get before the
> freeze
>
> This is pretty much as good as it's going to get right now. I didn't see
these lock-ups on my original development machine, but the newer and faster
machine I'm using now exhibits the same behavior. I have experimented with
reducing the tick rate for timers in both the emulator, the host kernel, the
guest kernel and QEMU, which seemed to resolve the lockup-issues but not the
freeze issues.

Note, that I suspect the freeze issues are due to the event/0 kernel thread
being scheduled continuously and thereby starving out the init, shell etc.
But the debugging is too cumbersome with the slow-boot time. On the recent
ARMv6 based work (which now works on ARM fast model software) the guest
seems quite stable and is capable of running vi etc.

You're welcome to debug this further (and I will help all that I can) or you
can possibly try to set up a ARMv6 based development environment and I will
be happy to provide the sources.

[snip]

> And on the guest side ,
> I have enabled the option --show kernel , and the last few line of the log
> are
>

> yaffs: Attempting MTD mount on 31.0, "mtdblock0"
> yaffs_read_super: isCheckpointed 0
> save exit: isCheckpointed 1
> yaffs: dev is 32505857 name is "mtdblock1"
> yaffs: passed flags ""
> yaffs: Attempting MTD mount on 31.1, "mtdblock1"
> yaffs_read_super: isCheckpointed 0
> yaffs: dev is 32505858 name is "mtdblock2"
> yaffs: passed flags ""
> yaffs: Attempting MTD mount on 31.2, "mtdblock2"
> yaffs_read_super: isCheckpointed 0
> sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
> # init: cannot find '/system/bin/playmp3', disabling 'bootsound'
> eth0: link up
> warning: `rild' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy support in use)
>
> The guest still doesnt boot fully to go to the home screen, it stops at the
> android spalsh screen.

This is confusing me a little bit - by guest, do you mean the emulated
Android (KVM host) environment or are you running Android as the guest
system somehow (the latter I have no experience with so far...)

> I am using images built from cupcake version of android (1.5) and SDK
> android-sdk-linux_x86-1.0_r2.
>
> [snip]

-Christoffer