NASA Gives 'Go' for the Ares I-X Test Rocket Launch on Oct. 27

Oct. 23, 2009

Amber Philman
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
amber.n.philman@nasa.gov

RELEASE: 56-09

NASA GIVES 'GO' FOR THE ARES I-X TEST ROCKET LAUNCH ON OCT. 27

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - NASA has completed a review of the Ares I-X
development rocket's readiness for its flight test and selected
Tuesday, Oct. 27, as the official launch date. Liftoff is scheduled
for 8 a.m. EDT from NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

The Ares I-X launch date was announced after a flight test readiness
review at Kennedy. During the meeting, senior NASA and contractor
managers assessed the risks associated with the test and determined
the rocket, support systems and procedures are ready for launch.

"I am proud of the work this team has done to ready this test rocket
for launch," said Doug Cooke, associate administrator for NASA
Exploration Systems Mission Directorate. "This is the first time in
more than 30 years that NASA has built a vehicle in a new
configuration so this has been a valuable learning experience.

"This test will yield important data to support the nation's next
steps in exploration. There is no substitute for hard data - flight
testing clarifies the distinction between imagined outcomes and real
flight experience."

The 28-mile high, two-minute flight of the Ares I-X, an uncrewed
development rocket, will provide NASA with an opportunity to test and
prove hardware, facilities and ground operations, while gathering
critical data for the Ares I rocket and future launch vehicles.

To follow Ares I-X on Twitter, visit:

http://www.twitter.com/NASA_Ares_I_X

For more information about Ares I-X and NASA's next-generation
spacecraft, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/aresIX

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov