Amber Philman
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
amber.n.philman@nasa.gov

STATUS REPORT: ARES-I-X-093009

ARES I-X STATUS REPORT

Launch Vehicle: Ares I-X
Launch Date: Oct. 27
Launch Pad: 39B at NASA's Kennedy Space Center, Fla.

Upcoming key milestones:
- Oct. 9 â?? Launch Readiness Review at Kennedy
- Oct. 15 â?? Launch Pad 39B modifications media event at 10 a.m. EDT
- Oct. 19 â?? Rollout to Launch Pad 39B targeted for 12:01 a.m. EDT
- Oct. 21 â?? Satellite live shot campaign at Launch Pad 39B from 6-9
a.m. EDT
- Oct. 23 â?? L-4 Flight Test Readiness Review followed by a news
conference on NASA TV
- Oct. 24 â?? L-3 Launch Status briefing on NASA TV at 10 a.m. EDT
- Oct. 25 â?? L-2 Launch Status Briefing on NASA TV at 10 a.m. EDT
- Oct. 26 â?? Prelaunch News Conference on NASA TV at 1 p.m. EDT
- Oct. 27 (target) â?? Ares I-X flight test launch at 8 a.m. EDT

Ares I-X Flight Hardware
Last week's milestones include:
- Launch Team countdown simulation from the firing room
- Full-up Development Flight Instrumentation system testing
- Flight control actuator testing

This week's milestones include:
- Powered up testing continues
- Launch Vehicle Readiness Test
-- Tests the rocketâ??s systems to assure responds correctly to both
pre-launch aborts and in-flight failures
- Super Stack 5 closeouts

Upcoming milestones:
- Launch pad readiness review

Ares I-X Ground Support Equipment
- At Launch Pad 39B, modifications are ongoing
- Vehicle Stabilization System final checkouts
- Environmental Control System (ECS) validation testing
- Fixed Service and Rotating Service Structures walk downs

The Ares I-X flight test will provide NASA an early opportunity to
check and prove hardware, analysis and modeling methods, and
facilities and ground operations needed to develop NASA's next crew
launch vehicle.

For more information about the Ares I-X flight test, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ares

Previous status reports are available at:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/moonandmars/status/index.html

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov