NASA Requests Proposals for Ares I Mobile Launcher Construction

08.09.07

Beth Dickey/Melissa Mathews
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-2087/1272
beth.dickey-1@nasa.gov, melissa.mathews-1@nasa.gov

Tracy Young
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
tracy.g.young@nasa.gov

RELEASE: 07-174

NASA REQUESTS PROPOSALS FOR ARES I MOBILE LAUNCHER CONSTRUCTION

WASHINGTON - NASA has issued a request for proposals for Ares I mobile
launcher construction. Ares I is the rocket that will transport the
Orion crew exploration vehicle and its crew and cargo to low Earth
orbit. The mobile launcher proposals are due to NASA's Kennedy Space
Center in Florida on Sept. 6, 2007.

The request for proposals states the procurement approach for
obtaining the mobile launcher system. The mobile launcher will be
used as a platform to assemble, test and service Ares I in existing
facilities, transport the rocket to the pad, and support launches.

The selected contractor will supply all labor, materials and equipment
to build the mobile launcher structure and its associated facility
systems. These systems include utilities, fire safety,
communications, lighting, elevators and life support. The request for
proposal includes an option for an additional Ares I mobile launcher.

The contract to build the Ares I mobile launcher will be awarded
through a full and open competition and managed by Kennedy. A
selection is expected in February 2008.

For more information about the request for proposal, visit:

http://procurement.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/eps/sol.cgi?acqid=126221

For information about NASA's Constellation Program, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/constellation

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov