NASA Awards Contracts for Constellation Program Study

07.26.06

Dolores Beasley/Michael Braukus
Headquarters, Washington
Phone: 202-358-1753/1979

Bruce Buckingham
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468

RELEASE: C06-041

NASA AWARDS CONTRACTS FOR CONSTELLATION PROGRAM STUDY

NASA has awarded a 90-day study contract to four space-related
companies to separately examine long-term ground processing and
infrastructure planning for the agency's Constellation Program.

The contractor teams are expected to provide a wealth of knowledge and
experience during the study phase to support ground systems and
operations planning through 2030, including missions supporting the
International Space Station, lunar exploration and Mars exploration.

Contract awardees are: ATK Launch Systems Group, Corrine, Utah; Boeing
Space Operations Co., Titusville, Fla.; Lockheed Martin Space Systems
Company, Littleton, Colo.; and United Space Alliance, Houston. The
awards are limited to $150,000 per contract.

Study recommendations will be considered in NASA Kennedy Space
Center's planning for the Ares I crew launch vehicle, Ares V cargo
launch vehicle operations and crew exploration vehicle processing.
The contracts, which should be completed in October, were awarded in
response to the Constellation ground operations Broad Agency
Announcement Request for Proposal issued in April.

"NASA's intent is to include industry in our planning phase to get a
broad perspective of ground operations, especially for the
long-term," said Pepper Phillips, deputy director of the
Constellation Project Office at Kennedy. "These four companies will
provide several possible solutions to the same challenges, which we
expect to benefit our planning. Selecting ground processing and
launch concepts are long-term commitments and we want to consider all
options."

For information about NASA's exploration efforts, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov