NASA and ZERO-G Agree on Regular Shuttle Runway Use

04.04.06

Katherine Trinidad
Headquarters, Washington
(202) 358-3749

Bruce Buckingham
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
(321) 867-2468

Rosalie Huerta/Harrison Liu
M. Silver Associates Inc., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (Zero Gravity Corp.)
(954) 765-3636

RELEASE: 06-132

NASA AND ZERO-G AGREE ON REGULAR SHUTTLE RUNWAY USE

NASA and Zero Gravity Corp. of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., announced today
the company -- known as ZERO-G -- will begin to regularly use the
space shuttle's runway and landing facility at NASA's Kennedy Space
Center, Fla. This agreement is the result of a successful pilot
program to expand runway access for non-NASA activities.

Beginning with its first flight for the public on June 24, ZERO-G will
conduct up to 280 weightless flights annually from the Kennedy
facility using a modified Boeing 727-200 aircraft, called G-Force
One. NASA has agreed to permit as many as seven ZERO-G flights a week
under a Space Act Agreement that provides for reimbursement of the
agency's runway and support costs.

In November, ZERO-G became the first company to participate in the
pilot program to open the 15,000-foot runway for non-NASA use. The
agreement is the first for regular non-NASA flights from the space
center. NASA hopes this agreement will broaden the public's interest
in spaceflight and increase awareness of its importance.

"We are extremely pleased to have ZERO-G sign on as a regular user of
our Shuttle Landing Facility," said Kennedy Space Center Director Jim
Kennedy. "This is the ideal place for activities that share the
experience of space flight with the general public."

In addition to exposing passengers to the weightlessness astronauts
experience while orbiting Earth, the roller coaster-like parabolic
flights also allow flyers to experience the same gravity conditions
one would feel on the moon and on Mars, providing a glimpse of what
future NASA crews will encounter.

"Conducting our flights from the Kennedy Space Center -- one of the
most internationally-recognized and frequented venues for space
travel and education -- is a perfect match for ZERO-G," said Dr.
Peter H. Diamandis, chairman and chief executive officer of ZERO-G.
"This is a meaningful step in the growth and expansion of our service
as we continue to bring the fun and exhilaration of weightless flight
to the general public."

The scheduling of ZERO-G flights from Kennedy will not interfere with
NASA missions or other activities.

For more information about ZERO-G, call 800-ZERO-G-800 (800-937-6480)
or visit:

http://www.GoZeroG.com

For information about partnerships with NASA through the Kennedy Space
Center, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/business

For information about NASA and agency programs on the Web, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/home

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov