NASA Selects Florida And Puerto Rico Schools For Explorer Program

05.25.05

Amber Marek
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
(Phone: 321/867-2468)

RELEASE: 43-05

NASA SELECTS FLORIDA AND PUERTO RICO SCHOOLS FOR EXPLORER PROGRAM

NASA recently announced schools selected from Kennedy Space Center's
district area, which includes Florida, Georgia and Puerto Rico, are
among the next 50 schools to participate in the 2005 NASA Explorer
Schools Program. The NASA Explorer Schools (NES) are the heart of a
unique educational program that reaches elementary through high
school students in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the District of
Columbia.

These schools include Warrington Middle School in Pensacola, Fla.;
Howard Middle School in Orlando, Fla.; South Plantation High School
in Plantation, Fla.; Goldsboro Elementary Magnet School in Sanford,
Fla.; and Marcelino Canino Canino Middle School in Dorado, Puerto
Rico.

"We look forward to working with the new schools and continuing our
relationship with our existing Explorer Schools," said KSC Education
Director Gregg Buckingham. "Our focal path this year will be to
activate our Digital Learning Network so we can communicate
electronically with all 16 of our NASA Explorer Schools."

The program debuted June 30, 2003. It sends science and mathematics
teachers "back to school" at NASA Centers during the summer to
acquire new teaching resources and technology tools using NASA's
unique content, experts and other resources. The goal is to make
learning science, mathematics and technology more appealing to
students.

"NASA will need a robust work force to carry out the Vision for Space
Exploration. The Explorer School Program looks to fulfill the vision
by inspiring the next generation of explorers," said NASA Chief
Education Officer Dr. Adena Williams Loston. "The program provides
the opportunity to explore, discover and understand through
educational activities. It includes fun, challenging adventures
tailored to promote learning and studying science, mathematics,
engineering and technology."

The NASA Explorer School Program is one of four major Agency
educational initiatives. Since its inauguration in 2003, the NES
Program has established three-year partnerships annually with 50
schools. The partnerships include students, teachers and education
administrators serving grades four through nine, from diverse
communities across the country. Schools in the program are eligible
to receive grants of up to $17,500 over the three-year period to
support student engagement in science and mathematics.

Eighty-seven percent of all NASA Explorer Schools are in high-poverty
areas, and 76 percent represent predominantly minority resident
communities. Ninety-eight percent of the 2005 class is in
high-poverty areas, and 82 percent is in predominantly minority
resident communities; 19 are in Hispanic communities.

"Perhaps someone in a NASA Explorer School will be the first to walk
on Mars," Loston said.

For a list of NASA Explorer Schools on the Internet, visit:

http://explorerschools.nasa.gov

For information about NASA education programs on the Internet, visit:

http://education.nasa.gov

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov