Re: [RFCv2 0/9] UEFI emulator for kexec

On 22 18:45:38, Pingfan Liu wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2024 at 4:23 PM Lennart Poettering <mzxreary@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Do, 22.08.24 13:42, Pingfan Liu (piliu@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >
> >  > On Wed, Aug 21, 2024 at 10:27 PM Lennart Poettering

> > > IIUC, you are referring to UKI addons.
> >
> > Yeah, UKI addons, as well as credential files, and sysext/confext
> > DDIs.
> >
> > The addons are the most interesting btw, because we load them into
> > memory as PE files, and ask the UEFI to authenticate them.

> > > As for addon, that is a missing part in this series. I have overlooked
> > > this issue. Originally, I thought that there was no need to implement
> > > a disk driver and vfat file system, just preload them into memory, and
> > > finally present them through the uefi API. I will take a closer look
> > > at it and chew on it.
> >
> > It doesn't have to be VFAT btw. It just has to be something. For
> > example, it might suffice to take these files, pack them up as cpio or
> > so and pass them along with the UEFI execution. The UEFI emulator
> > would then have to expose them as a file system then.
> >
> > We are not talking of a bazillion of files here, it's mostly a
> > smallish number of sidecar files I'd expect.
> >
> Yes, I think about using <key, value>, where key is the file path,
> value is the file content.

> > > It is a pity that it is a common issue persistent with kexec-reboot
> > > kernel nowadays.
> > > I am not familiar with TPM and have no clear idea for the time being.
> > > (emulating Platform Configuration Registers ?).  But since this
> > > emulator is held inside a linux kernel image, and the UKI's signature
> > > is checked during kexec_file_load. All of them are safe from
> > > modification, this security is not an urgent issue.
> >
> > Hmm, I'd really think about this with some priority. The measurement
> > stuff should not be an afterthought, it typically has major
> > implications on how you design your transitions, because measurements
> > of some component always need to happen *before* you pass control to
> > it, otherwise they are pointless.
> >

> OK, I will look into the details of TPM to see how to bail out.

This issue is why I thought a different approach to the UEFI emulator
might be useful:

(1) On "kexec -l" execute the EFI binary inside the kernel as a kthread
until it exits boot services and record all TPM measurements into a
buffer
(2) On "kexec -e" use the kernels tpm driver to actually perform all the
prerecorded measurements.
(3) Transition into a "purgatory" that will
clean up the address space to make sure we get to an identity
mapping.
(4) Return control to the EFI app at the point it exited boot services

Additional advantage is that we have filesystem access during (1) so it's
simple to load additional sidecar files for the UKI.

I have two questions:

1: Does the systemd-stub only perform measurements before exiting boot
services or also afterwards?

2: Is it okay to just go to an identity mapping when boot services are
exited or is the identidy mapping actually required for the entire
execution of the EFI app (I know the UEFI spec calls for this, but I
think it should be possible to clean up the address space in a purgatory)?

I played around with this approach last year and got the start of the
kernels EFI stub executing in a kthread and calling into provided boot
services, but the difficult part is memory allocation and cleaning up
the address space in a purgatory.

> Thanks,
>
> Pingfan

Kind regards,