Re: [RFCv2 0/9] UEFI emulator for kexec

On Mo, 19.08.24 22:53, Pingfan Liu (piliu@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> *** Background ***
>
> As more PE format kernel images are introduced, it post challenge to kexec to
> cope with the new format.
>
> In my attempt to add support for arm64 zboot image in the kernel [1],
> Ard suggested using an emulator to tackle this issue.  Last year, when
> Jan tried to introduce UKI support in the kernel [2], Ard mentioned the
> emulator approach again [3]

Hmm, systemd's systemd-stub code tries to load certain "side-car"
files placed next to the UKI, via the UEFI file system APIs. What's
your intention with the UEFI emulator regarding that? The sidecars are
somewhat important, because that's how we parameterize otherwise
strictly sealed, immutable UKIs.

Hence, what's the story there? implement some form of fs driver (for
what fs precisely?) in the emulator too?

And regarding tpm? tpms require drivers and i guess at the moment uefi
emulator would run those aren't available anymore? but we really
should do a separator measurement then. (also there needs to be some
way to pass over measurement log of that measurement?)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin