Re: [RFC V2] IMA Log Snapshotting Design Proposal

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 1:58 PM Stefan Berger <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/14/23 13:36, Sush Shringarputale wrote:

> >> Userspace applications will have to know
> >> a) where are the shard files?
> > We describe the file storage location choices in section D.3, but user
> > applications will have to query the well-known location described there.
> >> b) how do I read the shard files while locking out the producer of the
> >> shard files?
> >>
> >> IMO, this will require a well known config file and a locking method
> >> (flock) so that user space applications can work together in this new
> >> environment. The lock could be defined in the config file or just be
> >> the config file itself.
> > The flock is a good idea for co-ordination between UM clients. While
> > the Kernel cannot enforce any access in this way, any UM process that
> > is planning on triggering the snapshot mechanism should follow that
> > protocol.  We will ensure we document that as the best-practices in
> > the patch series.
>
> It's more than 'best practices'. You need a well-known config file with
> well-known config options in it.
>
> All clients that were previously just trying to read new bytes from the
> IMA log cannot do this anymore in the presence of a log shard producer
> but have to also learn that a new log shard has been produced so they
> need to figure out the new position in the log where to read from. So
> maybe a counter in a config file should indicate to the log readers that
> a new log has been produced -- otherwise they would have to monitor all
> the log shard files or the log shard file's size.

If a counter is needed, I would suggest placing it somewhere other
than the config file so that we can enforce limited write access to
the config file.

Regardless, I imagine there are a few ways one could synchronize
various userspace applications such that they see a consistent view of
the decomposed log state, and the good news is that the approach
described here is opt-in from a userspace perspective.  If the
userspace does not fully support IMA log snapshotting then it never
needs to trigger it and the system behaves as it does today; on the
other hand, if the userspace has been updated it can make use of the
new functionality to better manage the size of the IMA measurement
log.

--
paul-moore.com