Re: [Bug #11382] e1000e: 2.6.27-rc1 corrupts EEPROM/NVM

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Jesse Barnes wrote:

> That said, adding a check to the x86 code would be a good thing to do;
> I'll hack up a patch tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

The problem here is that what we desperately need first is a method to
restore the original EEPROM contents after it gets corrupted (David Airlie
has, sadly, apparently bricked his notebook while trying to do so).
Without this, we can put a lot of debugging/protecting patches into the
kernel, but we won't be able to succesfully verify anything, because
testing wouldn't be possible.

Added Jesse and Karsten to CC, as they are working on such a tool right
now, as far as I know.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs