Re: System settings animation

Duncan posted on Thu, 22 Aug 2024 05:57:58 -0000 (UTC) as excerpted:

> Also note that there are a few kcms available via direct kcmshell6 lauch
> that aren't available through plasma's systemsettings.
> kcm_qtquicksettings, for example, which displays a caution when run to
> only change settings if you know what you are doing.  (I just found it
> using --list while writing this and was curious so ran it; I've not
> experimented -- yet -- but knowing how to run it again without running
> it via the plasmashell menu if messing with it screws up plasmashell
> enough so it keeps crashing so I couldn't get to it that way, could
> definitely be useful!!)

FWIW tried messing with qtquicksettings now.

Rendering backend has four choices: automatic (default), opengl, software,
vulcan.

Being on wayland I tried vulcan (and restarted plasmashell).  It crashed
when I tried to open the comicstrip plasmoid full-size popup.  But opengl
works fine.  I suppose that's the current automatic default unless you're
running something with too old opengl support, in which case it probably
falls back to software.  Vulcan is likely still experimental, and the
comicstrip plasmoid, part of the kdeplasma-addons package, probably hasn't
been ported.  Either that or my decade-old AMD Radeon polaris11 graphics,
even with new mesa/libdrm/kernel drivers, doesn't support something the
vulcan implementation is requiring, so the default automatic falls back
from vulcan to opengl (which would fall back to software if necessary),
unless of course I /tell/ it to use vulcan.

Render loop has three choices: automatic (default), basic, threaded.  Long
ago (the original kde4 plasma era) plasmashell was single threaded and a
stall in any plasmoid (applet/widget) would freeze the entire desktop (I
know as I had that happen a few times).  I'm not sure what automatic
chooses now, but threaded works fine here.  I'd /guess/ that's now the
default, with "basic" forcing single-threaded as a threaded-code-race
troubleshooting option.

There's also a GL core profile "force" checkbox.  I've not tried forcing
it as I have even less idea what that's about than the other two, and
"force" sounds like something I probably don't want to do without specific
instructions, say as part of tracing a bug I reported or something.