Re: System settings animation

On Saturday August 17 2024 14:36:27 Dave Close wrote:

>But animation in system settings has annoyed me for a long time and
>still does. It ignores that I've turned animation off everywhere I can.
>Moving from one item in the list to the associated page and back again
>insists on sliding the page, slowly. Is there a way to disable this
>behavior and return to a sane presentation?

It's been over 5 years that I last updated the systemsettings package I'm still using (ahhhh, the stability, tranquility and productivity you can enjoy spending your time working *with* your system rather than *on* it ;)). I do recall getting a hissing fit about it trying to shove a QML-based UI down my throat (after updating to v5.13.5, which I'm still using).
I'm not entirely certain how I got it back to a proper, qtwidget-based UI. It may have been as simple as re-selecting the icon-based interface, it may also have required getting rid of (not building) the `systemsettings_sidebar_mode` plugin.

Of course I have no idea if any part of K??6 Plasma6 is still widgets-based or if the goal is to migrate everything to QML.

Here's an idea: all the KCMs shown in the systemsettings application must have .desktop files. Copy or symlink the ones you want to a folder of your own, or create a submenu in your favourite launcher for them. Selecting one from there should launch `kcmshell6 $kcm` with as much or as little eyecandy as you configured.

R.