Re: Dear KDE-Developers,

Искандер Наджафов posted on Mon, 18 Mar 2024 12:56:49 +0100 (CET) as
excerpted:

> Is this possible in future releases,
> so we could change the the gap between the panel and the corners,
> where the panel was placed, not through the config file,
> but through the KDE-settings in appereance in the future?

I'm not a dev, but answering as a long-time kde/plasma user that runs
live-git development versions and regularly follows the comments in the
git commit logs for many (tho not all) kde packages...

So the panel gap is already configurable via GUI to a limited extent (the
floating panel or not is togglable, but not the /size/ of the gap), and
I'm not entirely sure if you want /more/ configurability than is already
there (you want to adjust the size of the gap not just toggle whether it's
there, which I could definitely imagine some people wanting), or if you
aren't aware of the existing place to set it in the GUI, or if you know
about that but want it elsewhere in the GUI, possibly making the size
configurable when the setting is moved.

Additionally, while kde plasma6 (which I've been running for a couple
months now) has a GUI settings method and IIRC plasma5 did as well, the
plasma6 setup is much different, already in an effort to improve the panel
settings GUI from the plasma5 status, which was... non-obvious to some and
rather fiddly if you did know about it.  You don't mention which one
you're running so I'm not sure which of the two methods you'd use, and
I've already forgotten the details of the plasma5 config so I won't be
able to describe it in the same detail.

In case you didn't know where the existing GUI toggle is, and to make sure
we're talking about the same thing in any case:

Plasma6 existing setup:

1)  Right-click (context-click) pretty much anywhere on the panel and
select show panel configuration.

2) In the resulting panel settings popup, to the lower right, there's a
style box with a float slide-switch below it.  Clicking either the style
box itself or the float-slide underneath it should have the same effect,
toggling float.

3) Note that triggering panel configuration triggers configure mode for
the desktop as well.  To get out of that click the X at the far right of
the configure bar at the top of the screen.

Plasma5 existing settings, IIRC.

1) As with plasma6, right-click the panel and select panel configuration.
Note however that in plasma5 this was rather more fiddly and actually
getting that option depended on where you right-clicked (some plasmoids/
widgets included the option, some didn't, so depending on the plasmoids
you had loaded you may have had to find a blank spot between them to click
to get the panel-config option).

2) The resulting popup should look a bit like a ruler, allowing you to
move the panel around, etc.  IIRC there was a menu-expand arrow on that
"ruler" which in turn (I think) contained the float toggle option among
others.  However, again, fiddly.  You had to be careful how you moved the
mouse or it would leave the ruler area and the whole thing would close,
forcing you to start over with step 1.

So plasma6 already improves things both by being WAY less fiddly and by
having the configure panel option appear, AFAICT, regardless of where you
right-click on the panel.  The devs believe the settings GUI is more
intuitive now as well, and I think so too, altho the old plasma5 GUI was
intuitive /enough/ for me, just WAAAYYY too fiddly -- I /hated/ having to
reopen the ruler-config thing because it closed before I wanted it too,
especially since I never knew whether the panel-config option would even
appear in the context-menu or whether I'd have to adjust my right-click
location to get it.

But maybe you already knew about that and think it should be available in
the general plasma system settings application instead?

While I'm not entirely sure whether they're considering that, in case
you're still on plasma5 you mway not know that in plasma6 they do have a
wallpaper config kcm (kde config module) in plasma systemsettings as well
as the usual one available from the desktop context (right-click) menu.
(For people with multiple monitors, the kcm has an additional GUI allowing
you to choose which desktop you want to change the wallpaper on, that's
not needed when you click directly on the desktop to get the popup.)

So it's certainly possible they'll add a panel-configuration kcm to plasma
system settings as well, just as they did for wallpaper.  And just as the
wallpaper one has a screen selector if you have multiple monitors, they'd
need to have a panel selector of some sort for a panel-config kcm, for
people with multiple panels enabled.

But maybe what you're actually wanting is an option to adjust the size of
the gap, not just toggle it on/off with the floating option?  FWIW, I
wouldn't mind such an option myself, tho I don't really care about float/
no-float in general so it's not a big deal for me.

*BUT* purely at a /guess/, I think if they intended such a thing it would
already have an option.  Rather, I suspect they'd consider that more
confusing than helpful -- as you're likely aware kde/plasma already gets
regular criticism from the "too many config options are too confusing"
crowd -- so I expect this isn't so likely.

If it's an option in the config file already, which you seem to indicate
it is but I didn't know, that's even more evidence of a "too confusing to
put in the GUI, but we'll make it a config-file option for those who care
enough about it to edit it there" position.  I'd consider that a bit
unfortunate myself, but I can see how devs who constantly see complaints
about the so-called "too many and too confusing" config options might take
that position.

Meanwhile, I recall coming across a "brainstorming" section on the kde.org
web site (I don't have a direct link ATM and you can probably find it as
fast as I would).  If you believe either that the floating-toggle isn't
enough and that gap size should be adjustable in the GUI, or that there
should be a panel-config kcm in plasma system settings as well as the
existing context menu popup-config (maybe you want both?), I'm guessing
putting it there will be more likely to get developer attention than here,
as while the devs do show up here some and might see it, this list is
primarily for kde user discussion and help, not development suggestions/
requests, which could easily fall through the cracks and be missed here.