Re: plasma 6 and xrdp

On Friday March 01 2024 17:20:38 hw wrote:

>Yeah, use rpd instead.  Unfortunately, you can't seem to change the
>resolution when logging into a Gnome or a Wayland or X11 session from
>remote like you can with Windows.

IIRC krdc has a connection dialog that allows you to chose a resolution. It's probably what I overlooked that one time I almost messed up my remote session.

>Oh I mean only KDE and whatever else uses QT.

With Qt it's a choice (assuming Qt6 still uses the same QPA architecture; I've stayed away from it until now).
Gnome may have moved on to GTk4, but I have no idea if every application that isn't tied to that DE will have moved on from GTk2. And then there are DEs that last I checked were still using good old GTk2 with its extended theming support etc. As a widget library it really works just fine, after all.

>That other platforms may keep Xorg alive doesn't mean that it would
>still work with Linux.

Why wouldn't it, as long as Linux doesn't do anything to prevent it? Linux is not "the distros", after all. This is really no different than puritan distributions refusing to include any non-free software, and then installing applications like Google Chrome on them just because the developers give you a helping hand.

>Will the drivers
>continue to support Xorg on Linux and/or on other platforms when
>Wayland has replaced it?

Linux is currently also being used in environments with serious needs for distributed computing, which probably also means being able to do remote advanced (3D) graphics. Think the automobile industry but also research environments. Lots of people providing the momentum to Xquartz alive work in the latter, for instance.
I would guess that XOrg and its drivers will remain on sufficient life support to continue working as long as there is demand from end users. In the end that's the big advantage of FOSS: everyone can contribute and decide to keep it alive. Just look at the Trinity DE.

>What about adding new features to Xorg?

Following the above, not impossible, but best not hold your breath. All that is assuming that Xwayland isn't already on par with XOrg, and won't ever be. If it is, the entire problem is moot already because X11 applications will just see a different server.

>  X11 forwarding is the worst option.

It really is not, at least the version not using SSH isn't. It's an old protocol but really quite clever. It's not X11's fault that Qt5+ (and/or KDE5+ in particular) wasn't designed with optimal performance over remote X11 connections in mind.

>Krdc isn't too great, and how do you allow someone to join your KDE
>session from remote?

Krdc is a remote desktop client (R D C). You need to run some server to enable remote connectivity to your desktop session. You could do that by hand (like I do), but also write a service definition that can be launched at login through the startup manager in KDE's systemsettings. That's probably what Gnome did, and that's also how Apple's remote desktop configuration works.