Re: plasma 6 and xrdp

On Thu, 2024-02-29 at 14:30 +0100, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Thursday February 29 2024 14:04:45 Paul Brown wrote:
>
> > Plasma developers are currently working on solutions that will
> > allow to have RDP functionality working on Wayland.

It's already working with Gnome.  But it doesn't really work because
it requires a user to be logged into a Gnome session and then to
enable what they call screen sharing before someone can access the
screen remotely.  That can be extremely useful and works fine for that
particular case.

But how is a user supposed to log in entirely remotely (to a VM
perhaps) and start their own session like you can with xrdp?  For such
cases it doesn't work at all simply because you can't do it.

> I guess that theoretically this should allow optimal use of the RDP
> protocol (local rendering IIRC, possibly per-application) instead of
> the more or less glorified VNC-like implementation xrdp uses
> currently?

With xrdp, you can connect with a RDP client just fine if so
configured (and that option is the one that works best).  In which way
is that somehow 'glorified VNC-like'?  It's RPD.