Re: Who has stuck with an older version of Plasma for a while?

On Tuesday February 21 2023 02:18:25 Dave T wrote:
>I'm thinking about sticking with KDE Plasma 5.26 (or maybe one of the
>KDE Plasma 5.25 releases) until I'm ready to move to wayland and

>Who is doing something similar and could offer me some advice? (Or
>should I ask on an Arch Linux forum?)

Ahhh, the eternal update dance... it gets old, doesn't it? I'm personally still on Kubuntu 14.04 (and so, yes, with Plasma 4), updated myself in part with PPAs containing backports and with locally built software managed through a 3rd party packaging system.

Pinning/holding a selection of packages would work but only if you're certain that non of the pinned packages have dependents which also get blocked from being updated; this can lead to a snowball effect. You'd probably be fine though just pinning your entire KDE DE, if the version you have works for you. You'd best ask about that kind of details on an Arch forum or ML.

Note that KDE has one or even 2 systems of its own to grab sources and build the entire DE. IIRC Arch is one of the distros that is normally built locally so following that approach wouldn't really be overly new for you or require setting up a dev. environment etc.

R.