Re: Chrome interferes with KDE

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 3:17:08 P.M. MDT René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Tuesday October 04 2022 15:00:28 Jerome wrote:
> >> After 70 days of uptime, Chrome (prior and latest version) is interfering
> >
> >Closing enough things (like KWrite windows) to get Xorg to 255 or less
> >clears the problem while I wait for a good time to log out/in again.
>
> Have you tried restarting Chrome (and a tab unloader like The Marvellous
> Suspender, if you keep as many tabs open as I think you must do)?
>
> This must be about open files (and AFAIK sockets count to that number) and
> it wouldn't surprise me at all that something as complex as Chrome doesn't
> release all its connections to the X server perfectly as soon as they're no
> longer needed.

I could just fiddle with that, but now that I know it's a maxclients
deficiency, and how to find how many X is using, I'm going to double the
number until the next time I hit the limit.

For now, until I restart X with a larger limit, I know what I'm looking for
and how to deal with it.

I keep about 20 tabs open across 2 Chrome windows, which doesn't seem like
much, but I also keep other things open, like KWrite windows I use for
scratchpads, and they all take X connections.

The Marvellous Suspender will free up RAM, but not X connections. I have 32G
of RAM so that's not a problem.