Re: Question about screen resolution in plasma 5 using x11 and a 4 K monitor arrangement.

In data lunedì 14 marzo 2022 12:49:29 CET, Duncan ha scritto:
> Patrick Nagel posted on Sun, 13 Mar 2022 09:09:44 +0000 (UTC) as
>
> excerpted:
> > Hi Stakanov,
> >
> > 13.03.2022 09:56:02 Stakanov <stakanov@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> It came to my mind that maybe the Plasma desktop cannot be resolved
> >> over the proposed 2160x1140.
> >>
> >> Could you tell me if plasma has a resolution limit and maybe cannot
> >> fully resolve 4K? This would help me very much.
> >
> > I'm running Plasma 5.22 (and have been running other 5.x versions) on a
> > 4k monitor without issue. Also using X11 on Kubuntu with Nvidia GPU
> > though.
>
> I've been running plasma from live-git-master for years, on xorg until a
> bit over a year ago, on wayland since (I took advantage of covid down time
> to do the big switch, originally having to hack-patch a lot of bug
> workarounds, now most are fixed).
>
> Plasma definitely does 4K, even dual 4K, as I've been using dual 4K big-
> screen TVs as monitors now for several years, since well before the switch
> to wayland so I know it works on both xorg and wayland.
>
> Tho with dual monitors plasmashell will place a different wallpaper and
> activity on each, not one spread across both (tho the virtual desktop
> combines both activities/monitors).
>
> It's a Radeon graphics system too, tho an older one from about a decade
> ago, polaris-11 chip family, AMD Radeon RX 460 with 4 gig graphics card
> RAM, 16 gig system RAM.  Running Gentoo ~amd64 (the ~ indicates testing,
> not stale^h^hble), currently mesa-22.0.0, kernel 5.17.0-rc8 (released
> yesterday/Sunday).  I actually no longer have xorg installed so the only X
> I have is xwayland running on wayland.
>
> The card has three outputs, HDMI, DP, DVI (unused), with a DP-HDMI cable
> on the DP so both TVs are connected via HDMI ports.
>

> At least back on xorg, tho, I did initially have problems getting
> 3840x2160 at full 60 Hz, it'd only give me 30 Hz, until I found a setting
> I had wrong on the TVs.  IIRC it wasn't set to UHD or something, so
> wouldn't give me 60 Hz at native resolution, only 30 Hz, or lower
> resolution.  Of course I had that worked out long before I switched to
> wayland, so I don't know what plasma-wayland would have done with it.
>
> So check that.  Perhaps your monitor will do UHD aka 3840x2160@60, but you
> need to switch something to get it to do that (apparently it's a common
> option on 4K TVs, no idea on non-TV monitors), and for some reason without
> that available to it, xorg or kde is preferring the lower resolution but
> higher frequency to the lower frequency 3840x2160@30 that I got.
>
> Tho I may have gotten that because on xorg I did have the xorg
> configuration (files in xorg.conf.d) set to 3840x2160 for both outputs.  I
> guess it might have tried the lower resolution higher frequency if I
> didn't have it specifically configured for the native resolutions.
>
> Meanwhile, I have the kernel configured for framebuffer use instead of the
> [...]
Infact, Xrandr gives:
xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 4944 x 1440, maximum 16384 x 16384
DisplayPort-0 connected 1920x1080+0+180 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 509mm x 286mm
   1920x1080     60.00*+  50.00    59.94
   1600x1200     60.00
   1680x1050     59.88
   1400x1050     59.95
   1280x1024     75.02    60.02
   1440x900      74.98    59.90
   1280x960      60.00
   1360x768      60.02
   1280x800      60.00
   1152x864      75.00
   1280x720      60.00    50.00    59.94
   1024x768      75.03    70.07    60.00
   832x624       74.55
   800x600       72.19    75.00    60.32    56.25
   720x576       50.00
   720x480       60.00    59.94
   640x480       75.00    72.81    66.67    60.00    59.94
   720x400       70.08
DisplayPort-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DisplayPort-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DisplayPort-3 connected primary 2560x1440+2384+0 (normal left inverted right x
axis y axis) 698mm x 393mm
   2560x1440     59.95 +  74.97*
   1920x1200     59.88
   1920x1080     60.00    50.00    59.94
   1600x1200     59.95
   1680x1050     59.95
   1600x900      60.00
   1280x1024     75.02    60.02
   1440x900      59.89
   1280x800      59.81
   1152x864      75.00
   1280x720      60.00    50.00    59.94
   1024x768      75.03    60.00
   832x624       74.55
   800x600       75.00    60.32
   720x576       50.00
   720x480       60.00    59.94
   640x480       75.00    60.00    59.94
   720x400       70.08

So it thinks I cannot do it. But the specs say I can. That is strange.
I will have to write Lenovo if this monitor was produced with charge that
cannot do the resolution?