Re: May 30th 2022, Google and IMAP

On Fri, Mar 04, 2022 at 09:18:42PM +0100, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Friday March 04 2022 14:22:27 A. F. Cano wrote:
>
> >If you run the FreedomBox in a standalone box as the gateway/firewall,
> >like I do, and the email server is on it, it is not in your lan.  The
>
> I don't know where you are, but here internet connectivity is provided
> through modem/routers that are provided by the ISP, and have the firewall
> etc. installed. It's their property running a firmware they provide and

Same here.

> keep up to date, and that makes updating (and hopefully also breaches
> and the like) their problem as long as I don't do anything too wild with
> the configuration. With the default set-up the entire LAN is invisible

In router mode, that is the case here too.  I ran the FreedomBox "behind
router/in NAT mode" (this is a setting in the FreedomBox) for a while, but
encountered issues with certain apps.  The ISP doesn't always have your
flexibility and convenience in mind.  I hated it when things wouldn't
work as expected and I had to waste time figuring out that they were
blocking this or that, and sometimes with an update of their software
the behavior would change, and I have no choice about their updates.

> from the outside world, except for devices that know how to tunnel to
> the outside (I had a surveillance camera for our puppy that did this).
> TBH that suits me just fine!

This assumes that they let you open ports.  Obviously for your camera it
worked, but I encountered problems.  Then I configured the cable
modem as a bridge and all problems disappeared.  Even in this mode,
the FreedomBox makes my internal networks invisible to the outside but I
can initiate connections from the inside, which is how I use fetchmail
for instance.  I like the fact that all the configuration (in the
FreedomBox) is open source, transparent, with good support from the
developers via the mailing list, and not subject to corporate interests
that might conflict with what I want to do.

A.