Re: May 30th 2022, Google and IMAP

On Fri, Mar 04, 2022 at 05:35:54PM +0100, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Friday March 04 2022 09:31:18 A. F. Cano wrote:
>
> >Well, not remote and not managed for you,  but the next release
> >(migrating to stable in a few days) of FreedomBox
> >(https://www.freedombox.org), is finally adding a mail server.
>
> That would mean running a server that you need to be able to access from
> wherever you want to read your email? Not really what I'm looking for,

Fair enough.  If you wanted to have your server accessible 24/7 you'd
have to have it on all the time.  For email you'd get warnings or
bounces if that weren't the case.

> I'd rather have something that is either provided by a 3rd party or that
> I can run on my laptop (Mac or Linux).

FreedomBox is a bootable Debian on an SD card with a web interface, it
can run in a virtual machine on your laptop or stand-alone in a server box.
The latter could be in a variety of cheap hardware as can be seen here:
https://www.freedombox.org/download/
I run it on a PC engines APU1D4, with 3 network interfaces, so it is
also my firewall between the cable modem and my internal networks.

Still, if you ran it in a VM on your laptop and turned it off regularly,
you'd still get warnings/bounces.

> GMail only gets information from me that I don't mind exposing to them.
> As I said, email is inherently insecure. Having to expose a server in
> my LAN is a much bigger potential security risk, I fear.

If you run the FreedomBox in a standalone box as the gateway/firewall,
like I do, and the email server is on it, it is not in your lan.  The
FreedomBox has good secusity and privacy, and many other apps.  I use
just a subset of the apps available: privoxy, a matrix server for video
conferencing, the meta-search-engine searx, the radicale server to sync
all contacts/calendars/todo lists with Kaddressbook, Korganizer, phones,
ikiwiki blog, chat servers (ejabberd and mumble), the Sharing app to
have files accessible for download, syncthing, gobby server for shared
editing, and there are many more that I haven't tried yet.