Re: KDE neon on devuan?

On Tuesday February 02 2021 23:08:38 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

Hi Martin,

>Debian Sid and thus also Devuan Ceres has quite up-to-date Plasma
>(5.20.4), KDE Frameworks (5.78), KDE application (mostly 20.12, KDEPIM
>20.08) and Qt packages (5.15.2) meanwhile – it is much better than say a
>year before.

IIRC, Devuan Beowulf has Plasma 5.11 and Qt 5.11 too. I would have expected some kind of notification that I could update to a new version of the OS; that ought to be automatic with Debian, no?

>Those work without Systemd as PID 1 or installed. Using

Yeah, that's what you'd expect if Devuan provide them through their own mirrors!

I'll look into updating the whole OS rather than replacing just KDE; thanks for the heads-up on that. I hate the exercise but I wouldn't mind if, say, this gave me a working touchscreen :)

>some differences to Debian/Devuan that would make them unusable, but I
>doubt it. However no experience, so… use at your own risk.

You're right, Ubuntu probably has a few different install locations that could put files in places where they're not found by the system services that they're intended for.

Cheers,
René