Re: How should we present KDE Plasma desktop sessions to users?

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 17:43:44 +0100
René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday October 26 2020 11:37:01 kkde@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >nouveau. Else if I could toggle noveau/nvidia
> >in the control panel I'd be quite happy with
> >that too. A switch like nvidia+x/nouveau+wayland?
>
> I suppose that would have to be at the login manager level - if you can switch drivers at runtime (evidently not during a session).
>
> But maybe one should ask what kind of user would have an NVidia board and for running what kind of software - to see if there are additional reasons why they should stay away from Wayland.

The ONLY reason I bought an nvidia card was that I wanted a card to unload the cpu and ram, and my experience up to that point with non-nvidia cards was all negative. I don't need a proprietary driver for any of these. As far as I can tell google-earth doesn't either, almost all the flight-simulation is just number crunching and doesn't even come close to a gamer's needs, I really don't know why they cannot run it with just nouveau. All in all, there being many who might want the proprietary driver from time to time, maybe for a good tank-battle, I say LET'EM HAVE IT.. by way of a login-switch of course, like that for any DE. To close, still from a brain-stem level user's point of view, I haven't got the faintest clue why I should want wayland at all. What does it give me that I both need but X doesn't offer? Does it work better with _any_ init system than X?