Re: Years later, kmail still is not a viable email client?

Stakanov wrote:
I have to disappoint you on this point. Not all providers are correctly
recognized in Kmail with the wizard. I had this case several times, so it is
not "rare". Partially this may be because the server does not give true
information or offers some services (that are preferred by Kmail) but only to
paying users (just to tell you why this could happen, not that this is your
case).

It would be useful to know why the same account with the same credentials works fine via IMAP and SMTP on Thunderbird (even on the same computer). The emails I've sent to this mailing list are the proof that this is working.

In order to go over the problem, try to click on the button "details" when it
stalls.
This should first an empty white page then show the progress of the creation
and, even if it fails, it should create the entry in the tag reception - that
you can reach afterwards in settings - account - reception. You then go and
choose it and click on "modify" and play with the ports and the ssl/tls or
starttls. Same for sending.

I've clicked that button and seen the all-white box but nothing is ever filled into the box. The box stays white for 20 or so minutes, well over the amount of time it should need to figure out the configuration even by experimenting with alternative connections and configuration combinations.

Also, I'd expect to see log results of those experiments in the details view as they happen. Instead I see nothing.

Normally the standard ports for imap are:
Port 143 for STARTTLS
and
Port 993 for SSL/TLS.

If you have correctly coupled these settings

I don't understand what it means to couple these settings in KMail. As far as I know, I told KMail what FQDNs to connect to, what protocol to use for each host, and specified to use the "Generic IMAP Email Server" type (which I presume is used for the inbound email connection). I don't see any other place to specify any more information in the wizard than what I described earlier.

I now notice that the "Details..." button has a bug -- you can't go back to non-details mode to see the progress bar without going back a full step in the wizard. The log detail should be a toggle instead or we should always see both the progress bar and the log detail. At least log detail flashing by would give a clear indication of some work being done.

[...] then it is possible that you run into a bug that I encountered in the past
(I do not have Debian so I do not know if it uses kwallet. Sometimes the
integration of kwallet does not work correctly. To find out if this is your
problem you may select to not remember the password so you are not prompted for
kwallet and you have a variable less, so you can be sure that wallet is not
involved and the account has the right password when doing the handshake with the
server.

I left the password off of the first step and I get the same result I just described -- the account is never set up, no progress is indicated, and the log/details area is empty.

BTW (you know that too, I am sure) the smtp is port 25 (normally blocked),
nowadays 465 and in some rare cases without encryption 2525.
Be aware that in the past it was 587 (but that was deprecated. Some however
still use it).

There is no port blockage problem -- I'm successfully using Thunderbird on the same machine with the same account I'm trying to use with KMail.

Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid that the KMail account setup wizard is doing nothing which gives me any indication that it is even trying to connect to my IMAP or SMTP servers to figure out what the best setup ought to be.