Re: "autistic" Konsole

René J.V. Bertin posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 21:53:02 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Tuesday July 12 2016 15:29:48 Duncan wrote:
>
> I'm surprised how long this thread has been running already, and that I
> still have no clue exactly what is happening here
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/kde@xxxxxxxxxxxx/msg04352.html
>
> It just happened to me again, with 2 novelties:
>
> - it started after I had opened a document in a running KDevelop5
> session,
> from a Konsole5 application. The keyboard input stopped after a few
> keystrokes, in BOTH KDevelop and all windows of the parent Konsole
> process. Until now I had only seen this in Konsole itself.
> - banging long enough on the keyboard an occasional keystroke would get
> through.
>
> changing keyboard layouts had no effect (session-wide or in Konsole),
> nor had restarting KWin (why would it), a suspend/wake cycle or cycling
> among virtual consoles. Suggestions what else to try more than welcome!!

The surprising thing there is the /occasional/ keystroke getting
through.  That sounds like the app (or at least the input thread) is in a
loop, only occasionally polling for keystrokes.

You started kdevelop from the konsole session, and it was affected too?
That sounds like a shell job control thing.  See the ctrl-z stuff below.

I'm basically stumped, but a couple more shots in the dark.

Running htop (or just plain top if you don't have htop) in a new
(responsive) konsole window, neither the almost dead konsole nor anything
else is sucking CPU cycles, right?  If it's a loop, it should be, but...

Basic stuff but I'm grasping at straws, now:  You haven't gone and done a
ctrl-z (shell-based suspend and return to prompt, type fg to restart the
process in the foreground again) or ctrl-s (old-school terminal scrolling
control, try ctrl-q to start it again), have you?

Other than that, I'm basically out of ideas.