Re: Shortcuts stop working, application windows aren't showing anymore and the systray seems to freeze

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 25/01/16 13:21, Duncan wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras posted on Mon, 25 Jan 2016 12:09:13 +0200 as excerpted:

After a while after logging in to KDE (maybe an hour, maybe two, maybe
five, depends) all my global shortcuts stop working (including default
ones, like Ctrl+F11 or PrintScr where "present windows" or Spectacle
aren't shown, and custom ones, like WinKey+W for starting my web
browser.)

Furthermore, the systray gets stuck and contains icons from application
that are no longer running. Qutting Amarok for example will leave the
systray icon behind. Which still shows the menus, btw, it isn't really
frozen. But they do nothing, since the application the systray icon
belongs to is not longer running.

Even worse, when starting applications that use a systray icon, their
window isn't showing. There's no way to see those applications. They run
in the background and are invisible.

Any tips? I'm on:

KDE Plasma 5.5.3 KDE Frameworks 5.18.0 KDE Applications 15.8.3 + 15.12.1

I have no idea where to report this bug. There's no "I don't know which
part of KDE this belongs to" choice on the bug tracker.

Assuming you can get either krunner or konsole up, try

kquitapp5 plasmashell; sleep 1; plasmashell &; sleep 1; disown

"kquitapp5 plasmashell" kills it, but "plasmashell &" doesn't bring it up completely. It shows the desktop wallpaper and hangs there for a while. No panel, no desktop icons, no nothing.

After about 40 seconds, the panel and icons come up.

This is SERIOUSLY broken :-/

I have this when something is wrong with network while restarting plasma or when I have stale CIFS/NFS mounts not available.
It defenitely sounds like a network timeout in any case.

Regards,
Martin
--
If 'but' was any useful, it would be a logic operator