Re: interesting comment from a poster on phoronix

On Thursday 20 August 2015 2:06:34 PM Kevin Krammer wrote:

> On Thursday, 2015-08-20, 10:37:59, ianseeks wrote:

> > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=KDE-Applications-15.08

> > Thats a lot of numbers to keep your eye on when reading about KDE

> From my point of view these kind of comments are very close to troll

> territory.

> So there is one version for KDE's desktop product and one version for *all*

> application products.

> How do users of vendors cope who do not release all their applications in one

> go?

> How, for example, do users of Microsoft Office cope with the "problem" that

> Windows has a different version number than Office?

> Are they in panic when Skype does not share the version of one of these two?

> Are they close to dispair when .Net or Visual Studio bring in even more

> version numbers to the mix?

> Assuming they cope just fine, only keeping track of versions of products they

> themselves use, why would users of KDE software be incapable of doing the

> same?

> For sure users of KDE software have the same intelectual capacity as users of

> Microsoft software, do they not?

In all honesty it is a bit confusing and your comparison does not quite hold as MS Office is an application you choose/buy, not part of the whole package so to speak. I am just beginning to get the whole concept myself but of course different release dates, different numbering and so on does not help.

kind regards,

Sinclair