Re: How to set up Menu items such that if an instance is already running, the running instance is brought to the foreground?

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 15:51, phanisvara das <listmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> doesn't this depend on the application, not the DE? in many cases app.s can be configured via 'settings' or conf. files, what they'll do when they are called while an instance is running already (konqueror, per ex.). in some cases you can add a command line argument to force a certain behavior, like re-use of an existing instance (firefox).

Yes, but not all applications support this.

> with skype i couldn't figure out how to make it re-use it's existing instance, unfortunately.

That is one of the main offenders. They will have over 10 Skype
instances running!

>> You could use xlsclients -al to get the list of running applications and
>> their window IDs, and then xdotool windowactivate <windowid> to bring it
>> to the foreground.
>
> gave this a short try, but didn't get anything useful. didn't try very much though; quite possibly this may work if one really tries...

I did manage to locate and bring to foreground a Dolphin window with
this. It is doable so long as a window is open, I need to check for
applications such as Skype that may be running as a service.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com