Re: Akonadi server will not start

On Friday, 2010-05-21, Jerry wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2010 13:40:09 +0200
>
> Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@xxxxxx> articulated:
> > The database structure is described internally by this file
> > http://tinyurl.com/349resj
>
> I tried to import that file into MySQL using phpMyAdmin; however, I
> keep receiving warnings that the XML format was incorrect.

Must have been a misunderstanding.
The file is what describes the database layout for Akonadi's server, so it
known which tables to create.
Depending on what database it talks to it has to translate pieces of
information here and there to match the target database's idioms.

> If I could locate an SQL formatted file I would try to import that.

You could keep a new user accounts default configuration which will create a
locally running MySQL instance. You can connect to it with the mysql client
tool, so it should be possible to dump/export/whatever there.

> Since I don't and since I cannot get the server to work correctly with
> a preexisting running MySQL application, I would like to just disable
> the server entirely. It keeps popping up and attempting to start which
> has become an annoyance.
>
> Do you know how I can completely disable this contraption?

Since Akonadi server is started on-demand, something seems to directly or
indirectly access it.

A common use case are KDE applications with some kind of address book
integration, most often using the traditional KDE address book API.
There is a tool trying to make this fit onto Akonadi automatically, which can
be disable [1].

Another point to check is in Systemsettings -> advanced tab -> KDE resources,
which lists the data source of the traditional address book and calendar
framework. Make sure no Akonadi plugins are in there.

If it still gets started afterwards it might be one of the applications using
Akonadi directly, e.g. KAddressBook [2]

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://tinyurl.com/ycx2mrx
[2] I think KMail might be using it for distribution lists as well, but I am
not totally sure
KDE user support, developer mentoring