Re: Dolphin starts programs with a wrong current directory

On 12/14/2009 05:12 AM, Torsten Frey wrote:

> Am Montag, 14. Dezember 2009 01:48:56 schrieb Torsten Frey:
>>> I must admit that I did not expect that behaviour. I would expect that
>>> the current directory is searched first. If that fails, then the search
>>> paths should be relevant. But I am not expert anough to decide if
>>> KDE/dolphin/konqueror are doing wrong, or if my expectations are wrong!?
>>>
>>> Regards, Torsten
>>
>> Hmm, one glass of wine later, I am sure it is a bug. Applications like
>> amarok, kaffeine or even kate may use the KDE-path-settings, if they want.
>> But the filemanager(s) should not use these seetings as it is an unexpected
>> behavior.
>>
> No bug - wrong expectations. Just tested it with KDE 3.5.9, where also the
> behavior from konqueror differs from the cli / non-KDE-filemanager (where to
> search for text/data-files). Steven (and all others) who say to use defined
> directories and not to assume something are correct.
> Sorry to all :-(

And of course that means that one who writes programs for Unix in
general (and not specific for KDE) must keep KDE in mind nonetheless.
Since all filemanagers except the KDE ones "agree" with each other on
this point, that person assumes that this a "de-facto" standard.  KDE
breaks it.

No, I'm not going to alter my program just to make KDE happy, because
I'm not writing a KDE program in the first place.  If KDE can't deal
with programs written that way in this regard, then I consider this
being a KDE problem, not my problem.  My program runs happily on Mac OS
X, Solaris, all BSDs, all Windows versions, and Linux *except* KDE.
 From that it becomes pretty apparent where the wrong behavior lies.
When over 20 combinations of OS/DE agree with each other on this,
*except* KDE...