Re: Why KDE4 is called KDE?

On Wednesday, 2009-12-09, Draciron Smith wrote:

> Folder deskview? Let me wretch, first thing I do is close that thing
> down. I don't want to "navigate" I want my apps close and easy to get
> too. Stuff I use every day 100 times a day I want on the panel. Not on
> a desktop I rarely ever see. To even get too the folderview I'd have
> to find an empty desktop. On the other desktops it'd just be an
> accident waiting to happen when I click through an app and accidently
> launch or do something I didn't mean to do.

This is a nice demonstration how useful the added customization option
regarding things on the desktop is.
Some users like the desktop to be one collection of icons, basically the
traditional way. Some users, like yourself, don't want anything on their
desktops, some users, like myself, want several grouped icons on their
desktop.

Through the move from a single hardcoded location displayed as a desktop
overlay to the options of either having one folderview as the desktop, no
folderview at all or several of them, it is now possible to address all three
usage patterns equally.

Additionally, the new architecture allows third parties to offer replacements
for any such component, thus making it easier to address even more usage
patterns without having these third parties burden with the task of writing a
whole new root window manager application.

Oh, and while I usually also look for an empty desktop to access the files in
my folder views, there is the dashboard shortcut (CTRL+F12).

> KDE 4 lost tons of funcitonality and is far less customizable. You
> would honestly trade all that for eye candy?

Since you seem to be addressing the workspace only, did you mean that when
writing "KDE 4" or did you mean all applications produced with the recent
development framework?

I am asking because the applications I am using seem to have gained
customization options, e.g. KMail's new message list options.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring