Getting Rid of HTML in My Messages in KMail

I'm using KMail as part of Kontact in KDE 4.1.3 in Ubuntu Intrepid. In the past I've always used whatever settings in my mail program to send out plain text emails. Recently, after installing Intrepid with KDE 4.1.3, I got an email from someone on a mailing list I was on complaining that my emails used HTML.

Considering that the *nix world is one place where many people still use console based email programs and object to HTML -- and that on many tech lists it has been a long standing expectation to use text only email, I am quite frustrated that I've looked through all the settings and can't find any place to tell KDE to use ONLY plain text and no HTML.

There are other frustrations in KMail that I find surprising in 4.1, such as my having to set the language in the spell checker to English - (United States of America) every time I compose a new email, but this is the only one that effects what goes out to other people.

So how can I tell KMail to use text only and NOT any HTML in my outgoing messages?

Thanks!

Hal