Re: [EDITORIAL] Re: How to build kuickshow?

On Sunday 28 September 2008 21:44:49 James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Anne Wilson wrote:

> > On Sunday 28 September 2008 13:44:39 Jonathan Rawle wrote:

> > > I've solved my problem before my message was approved! I downloaded

> > > the

> > > latest kdegraphics 3.5 source and was able to build that again the

> > version

> > > of KDE that comes with CentOS, then install just Kuickshow.

> > > I see why RedHat don't include Kuickshow: some dependencies such as

> > > ImLib

> > > are not included in RHEL, I had to get them from third party

> > repositories.

> > > Does anyone know if Kuickshow is still being maintained? There

> > doesn't seem

> > > to be a page for it at KDE Extragear.

> > I'm not certain, but I suspect not, as I can't find anything recent

> > either. Some of the functionality is on ShowFoto, and Gwenview can do

> > everything Kuickshow did and more, I think, especially with kipi

> > plugins, although users of KDE 4 still don't have the plugins. Since

> > you're running KDE 3.5 I would think that Gwenview + kipi plugins is

> > your best bet.

> Yes, Kuickshow is an orphan. It was decided that it would be dropped

> since Gwenview conformed to the way KDE apps were normally designed.

> KView is also an orphan except that I am the maintainer. There were

> some political issues with my working on it which I don't understand (If

> it is OK to write a new app, why isn't it OK to modify an existing app

> so that it conforms to the KDE GUI guidelines?); but the rules said that

> I would have to make if version 3.6.x which could not be shipped with

> KDE-3.5.x. IAC, Gwenview has turned out to be an excellent application

> so I don't see any need to port KView to KDE4 except that I prefer

> generic names for applications.

> If you like the way that Kuickshow works (separate display window with

> no decorations), I suggest that you install ImageMagick. Although it

> does not have the advantage (?) of using Imlib. So, ImageMagick makes

> it doubly redundant except that it would be nice if the KDE/Qt GUI

> option was added to it -- as would be the case with several other

> applications. The Sodipodi developer discovered that this wasn't that

> difficult to modify the code so that it could be built either for GNOME

> or KDE. And, (number 3) another issue, Imlib is also orphaned; it was

> replaced by Imlib-2 which is not compatible so Kuickshow would have

> needed to be rewritten to use the new library.

All of which says that many 'wish-list' things are possible, but not without substantial work that can't be taken on by people already well-commited. IOW, if you have the interest and the capability the KDE project would love to hear from you.

I love kuickshow too, and I'm sure these issues don't only refer to that one application.

Anne