Re: Migrating my KMail to a new machine.

On Tuesday 22 May 2007, Franklin wrote:

> copy the above folders and you'll keep your configuration and mail.
> Of course you'd better backup your ~/.kde first if possible, just in case.

I recommend creating an archive, e.g. a tar.gz, instead of verbatim copying.
It has the advantage that it will extract the files with the owner and group
of the new user instead of using the user ID of the user on the old system.

In any case you can test your transfer procedure this way:
- make sure you have KMail set to Offline mode or deactivated mail checking on
startup and automatic mail checking.

- create your transfer data set, e.g. either the archive or copy the files to
whatever media you are expecting to use for the transfer

- create a new user

- login as this user and restore the transfer data, e.g. extracting the
archive or copying the data back

- start this user's KMail and check that all data is available

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring