Re: Mounting CD ROM

Thanks Matthew and John,

I am very sorry to be asking such stupid questions, but I am a complete beginner to linux.

I have managed to mount my cdrom drive using the following command line

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0/

but I was not able to see the cd drive on my desktop. On the Gnome desktop I get both the home directory and the the cd drive icons but on the KDE I could not find this. I tried looking through the desktop configuration but it does not give the option of displaying this. Could you help me out with this as well?

Thanks again,
Israel.

On 4/28/07, Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Israel Goitom wrote:
> I am not sure if I should be expecting this in Linux,

In most UNIX OS's (including Linux), you need to "mount" devices before
you can use them. This includes hard drives, optical media (e.g.
CD-ROM's), USB drives (external hard drives, flash drives, etc.) and so
on. Until you start installing/removing hard drives you don't need to
worry about those, as they are mounted for you at boot time... as well
as any other media that happen to be present (i.e. I'm guessing this is
why you can see a disc that is in your computer at boot time).

> but when I started
> using the KDE desktop I started noticing that if I boot the machine with a
> CD in I can read it, but once I remove the cd and replace it with another
> one, I can not see it at all.
>
> How do I get to see my CD after I have put it in the cdrom?

In KDE there is usually an icon on your desktop for removable media the
system knows about, e.g. optical drives ('cd-rom', 'dvd' or similar),
also e.g. any flash drives your system knows about. If you right-click
on these you should get a 'mount'/'unmount' option. You should also
unmount devices before removing them (for optical drives you usually*
cannot remove the disc until you unmount the drive) to ensure that all
data has been fully written.

(* the 'eject' option does the unmount for you... and also ejects the
disc, of course :-).)

--
Mathew
(sorry, .sig file is on the other computer)