Re: Upgrade to kde3.4

under /etc/inittab

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
# 3 - Full multiuser mode
# 4 - unused
# 5 - X11
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:
^

does that change to 3? kde should have nothing to do with it. or maybe there is problem with your kdm config /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc file which keeps throwing in out into text mode?

also updates should be done when not in graphical mode otherwise you have to restart kde, not necessarily reboot, Alt+Ctrl+Backspace usually restarts the Xserver so that should do the trick. i would recommend shutting down Xserver and then upgrading and then restarting Xserver

manoj

Erik Kjær Pedersen wrote:

After I have upgraded to kde 3.4 I seem to need to reboot the machine. When I log out I do not get back to kdm, but I am taken down to a non graphical level. This is of course not a problem for one machine, but I am doing it via a script for 50 machines, and the people may have long term projects running. Is there a way to avoid this?