Re: normal user problem

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
It is most likely that you have permission issues with the devices (in the "/dev" directory) for sound. It is also possible that if you are using PAM that you may need to edit the: "/etc/security/console.perms" file. My previous suggestion is that this line should be changed to:

<console> 0660 <sound> 0660 root.sound

i have checked this. This is same as here except root.audio in place of root.sound but it is okay as u said bcoz audio is a grp on my system.
where else can be the perms problem :( ne idea?

regards
anshul

{"sound" [at the end] is the group on my system, yours might be different}

NOTE: If you have PAM, it does no good to change the permissions manually as it will just change them back, you must edit the file as above.

Also, if you installed from a distro, your system is probably set up so that all regular users that are allowed to use sound must be made a member of a group (e.g. the group: "sound" on my FC2 based system).