Re: How to enable the old kicker icon-zoom effect in KDE 3.4?

Jes Hall wrote:
I Disagree quite strongly.  I found the icon Zoom feature very usable, and
I've never had any problems with it.  I find it difficult to swallow that
the programmers who work on this stuff would be unable to overcome this
difficulty.

Who decides what's "usable" anyway? :-D  Considering Linux is all about
choice wouldn't it be better to have this in the hands of the user?  I like
it, and from what I'm hearing many others do as well.

I would hazard to suggest that the developer who gives up his free time to maintain the code is most qualified to make such decisions.

Wrong! Such developers tend to have egos and it appears that making something that is "way cool" has a higher priority than usability. Hence the very fancy animation that can't be turned off.

If the code is causing bugs to pile up and the effort to fix it is far greater than any gain in functionality, then it goes. Whether the effort is in fact greater is highly subjective, and only the person who is hacking on the code can truly judge. It is after all his time and his effort he's weighing in the balance.

Well the current code has bugs too. Those cute animated popup windows don't have the correct X priority and AJS has already told me that he won't fix the kicker X priority issues because it would be too difficult and/or that I'm just wrong about it.

Are such issues Qt problems or C++ problems. Nobody seem to make such complaints with procedural languages and tools?

--
JRT