Re: lprng instead of cups.

Thanks for your reply,

C.M.Lotion wrote:

On Thursday 10 March 2005 13:04, David Harel wrote:

Hi,

Can I use lprng or any BSD style printing daemon that works well with
KDE interface?

Hi David,

Have you already had a look at your expanded kprinter dialog or the printing utility offered via print:/Manager in Konqueror (or something like K>Utilities>Printing>Print manager)? You can choose for LPD, LPR-/LPRNG (BSD compatible) or RLPR.

I have. It looks nice and makes the impression KDE can use lprng.

I lost my patience and installed lprng. You can't imagine how rough that could be.

I am on a Gentoo machine. In the installation configuration cups is mandatory. I had to remove it and then reinstall many packages that used it.

Eventually when I print a test page I get errors:

/usr/bin/lpr -P 'Epson' '-#1' '/usr/kde/3.3/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps' : execution failed with message:
Status Information, attempt 1 of 3: sending job 'root@harellaptop+313' to Epson@localhost connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1 connected to 'localhost' requesting printer Epson@localhost job 'root@harellaptop+313' transfer to Epson@localhost failed error 'NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack 'ACK_FAIL' sending str '^BEpson' to Epson@localhost error msg: 'spool queue for 'epson' does not exist on server harellaptop' error msg: 'check for correct printer name or you may need to run' error msg: ''checkpc -f' to create queue'

The funny thing is that the printer is defined as samba and if you look at the properties you see in the interface a uri definition:

uri: smb://smbusr:smbmnt@HAREL/ITAY/Epson_Stylus

           User          domain     printer

                 Passwod      computer

where is the printcap anyway with such definitions?

HTH,

Claire

-- Thanks.

David Harel,