Re: kmid

Bob Stia wrote:
On Wednesday 05 January 2005 04:35, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

Bob Stia wrote:

Hello KDE people,

I have never been able to play a midi file.  Now running SuSE 9.2
 on a x86_64 platform. (new install, new hardware, KDE 3.3.2, via
 on board sound chip)  I give this info because on the old system
 (SuSE 8.2, KDE 3.2, and a Soundblaster card) I could not either.

If I open Kmid in a terminal I get the message "no midi ports" when I try to open the file.

The app KMID is a front end for MIDI HARDWARE. If you don't have a
hardware synthesizer, you can use KMIDI which is a KDE front end for TiMIIDIty, or you can use TiMIDIty directly.

Hello James,

Thanks for replying. There is no such thing as Kmidi anymore.

Well, it isn't maintained anymore and isn't included in the current release.

It has been merged into Kmid

Don't think so. You can use ALSA to use TiMIDIty with KMID, but I don't recommend that to play MIDI files.

in newer versions of KDE and has been discontinued.

If you don't have a copy of KMIDI, you will have to use TiMIDIty which is what I said. It is probably better to do that than use the unmaintained KDE application.

I can bring up Timidity graphically but there is no way that I can
see to load a .mid file.

Soooo, I guess that leaves me where I started.  If anyone can tell me
 how to get Kmid working I would be very grateful.

So, your situation is that you can't get TiMIDIty to work.

You need a 'desktop' file: "/usr/share/applications/timidity.desktop". This is what I have:

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
[Desktop Entry]
Comment=
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=/usr/local/bin/timidity -ig
GenericName=MIDI Synthesizer
Icon=kmidi
MimeType=audio/x-midi;audio/x-karaoke;
Name=TiMidity Synth
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=0
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
Categories=AudioVideo;Application;
X-DCOP-ServiceType=None
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

Other things are TiMIDIty configuration issues.

--
JRT